Russell hybrid lupines are widely available and available in myriad colors. They produce spikes of pea-like flowers in early and midsummer on 30-36-inch plants.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsEasy to start from seed.
CareProvide full sun and sandy, lightly acidic soil.
PropagationThe large, beanlike seeds of lupines can be slow to germinate without winter stratification. Lightly abrading the seed coat with sandpaper will allow water to penetrate and speed germination. Legume seeds are long-lived and will come right up even if old.
ProblemsDowny mildew, powdery mildew, rust, stem rot, fungal and bacterial spots, damping off, Southern blight.
- Genus : Lupinus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red, White, Yellow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest