The parent of the regal hybrid Delphiniums, the species has 3- to 4-foot-tall spires of blue, violet, lavender, or white flowers. It usually requires staking.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsShowy spires in a variety of shades.
CareGrow in full sun and fertile, well-drained soil. Requires shelter from strong winds.
PropagationTake basal cuttings in early spring.
- Genus : Delphinium
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.