Giant-flowered purple sage has been winning over gardeners the past few years for its remarkable summer blooms and tough-as-nails demeanor. Native to the dry foothills and mountains of southern California, this sage is considered a woody shrub. It features showy, aromatic silver foliage and bicolored flower spikes with lavender-purple calyces and long, hummingbird-pollinated blue flowers. It grows from 24 to 36 inches high.
CareProvide full sun and well-drained, infertile, alkaline soil. Lightly prune after flowering.
PropagationDivide plants in early spring, or take cuttings of newer growth anytime.
- Genus : Salvia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Fragrant Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Foliage Color : Silver/Grey
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.