Japanese fatsia has very large, hand-shaped glossy leaves that glow in the shade. New leaves fan out on stiff stems all along the ringed trunks. The flower clusters of older fatsias attract bees. -Nellie Neal, Regional Picks: Southeast, Fine Gardening issue #127
Noteworthy CharacteristicsMakes a good houseplant.
CareMoist, rich, well-drained soil.
Propagation From cuttings or from seed.
ProblemsNo serious problems.
- Zones : 10, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Fruit
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.