Leatherleaf mahonia is a thick shrub with a formal feel. Its stiff, green-blue foliage looks something like holly foliage, and in spring, airy clusters of tiny, golden yellow flowers appear. These are followed in fall by inky blue berries. Consider this plant for a a mixed-shrub foundation planting, or use it as a hedge plant. -Nellie Neal, Regional Picks: Southeast, Fine Gardening issue #127
CareMoist, rich, well-drained soil.
PropagationFrom cuttings or seed.
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers, Foundation Plantings
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Growth Rate : Fast, Moderate
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Fruit
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.