Japanese camellias shine in winter, with their glossy, deep green leaves and brilliant symmetry. Red, pink, and white lowers appear in spring, and they range from solids to stripes and from single cups of petals to tight double blooms. -Nellie Neal, Regional Picks: Southeast, Fine Gardening issue #127
CareMoist, rich, well-drained, acidic soil. Camellias need extra water during dry summers. Horticultural oil spray applied after flowering prevents scale and other insects.
Propagation From cuttings.
- Genus : Camellia
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Zones : 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink, Red, White
- Uses : Shade
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.