Rosettes of cabbage foliage are grown as annuals for fall and winter interest. Color intensifies in cooler temperatures (below 50°F). Good for bedding and containers.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsColorful foliage. Hardy, late season interest.
CareFertile soil in full sun.
PropagationSow seed in the garden in spring or in a cold frame in early spring.
ProblemsLeaf miners, caterpillars, aphids, harlequin bugs, root maggots, nematodes, cabbage white butterfly, flea beetles. Black leg, white rust, black leaf spot, powdery and downy mildews, damping off, white mold, club root, and root knot nematodes. Cool weather eliminates most of these problems.
- Genus : Brassica
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Uses : Containers
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage