A wonderful hybrid derived from Cestrum diurnum and C. nocturnum , 'Orange Peel' is a veritable living bouquet of pure orange blossoms that, in warmer climates, begin with the first mild days in spring and last until the first hard frost. The tubular flowers have no fragrance during the day, but as soon as the sun sets, a sweet scent lingers in the air. In Zones 8 and warmer, 'Orange Peel' will be a deciduous shrub 6 feet tall and wide. In Zone 7, it will act as a die-back perennial and easily reach 3 to 5 feet tall and wide during the growing season. In colder zones, it makes an incredible summer-blooming annual.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsFragrant orange flowers; low maintenance; thrives in hot weather.
CareProvide full sun and most any well-drained soil.
- Genus : Cestrum
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 7, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Early Summer, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest