Mock orange is an upright, deciduous shrub grown for its very fragrant, creamy white flowers that bloom in early summer. 'Aureus' has golden yellow leaves in spring that turn yellow-green in summer. Use in a shrub border or woodland garden.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGolden-yellow leaves in spring. Very fragrant flowers.
CareProvide moderately fertile, well-drained soil in full sun or part shade. Prune after flowering by cutting back flowering shoots to strong buds. On older plants, one-third to one-fifth of old shoots may be cut back to the base.
PropagationSoftwood cuttings in summer or hardwood cuttings in autumn or winter.
ProblemsScale insects, rust, gray mold, powdery mildew, and fungal spots are common.
- Genus : Philadelphus
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White