Obedient plant is a clump-forming native perennial that grows aggressively. From midsummer to early fall, spikes of purple or pink (and sometimes white) flowers rise above sharply toothed leaves to four feet high.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis late bloomer mixes well with asters, grasses, and goldenrods. May need restraint. Good cut flower.
CareProvide full sun to part shade and medium moisture. Plants may need staking.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in autumn. Divide in winter or early spring before new growth commences.
ProblemsRust and slugs can sometimes be a problem.
- Genus : Physostegia
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest