‘Golden Nugget’ is a deciduous shrub with nonburning foliage. It is a slow grower (to only about 1 foot tall) and makes a good border plant, especially when planted with darker foliage plants, brightly colored flowers, or a ground cover. Grow in full sun for best color and berry production. It tolerates poor soil as long as drainage is good. The foliage has an orange cast for most of the season, which intensifies in the autumn.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsDwarf habit; slow-growing; good foliage color into fall; red berries. All parts of the plant can cause stomach upset if eaten.
CarePlant in full sun (for better autumn color and berries) or partial shade in almost any well-drained soil. Trim hedges after flowering. Some barberries are invasive.
PropagationRoot softwood cuttings, or take semi-ripe cuttings in summer.
ProblemsScale insects, mites, and Japanese weevils can be problems. Barberry is prone to canker, dieback, fungal leaf spots, powdery mildew, root rot, verticillium wilt, and rust diseases.
- Genus : Berberis
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Characteristics : Deer Resistant, Showy Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Growth Rate : Fast, Moderate
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Foliage Color : Gold/Yellow Foliage
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow