This North American native bears deep blue or occasionally white, bell-shaped blossoms in spring and possibly late summer if deadheaded. It grows from 1 to 3 feet tall. Use Jacob’s ladder in a lightly shaded border, rock garden, woodland, or cottage garden.
CareGrow in moist, but well-drained, soil in sun to partial shade. Some cultivars can grow in full shade.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring or fall. Divide in spring.
- Genus : Polemonium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Uses : Ground Covers, Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White