This North American native bears light blue bell-shaped blossoms in spring to early summer. It has a lax, sprawling habit to 1.5 feet tall. The leaflets are arranged like the rungs of a ladder, hence the common name.
CareProvide humusy, moist but well-drained soil in part shade (or full sun in cooler climates).
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring or fall. Divide in spring.
- Genus : Polemonium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers, Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Foliage
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest