Perfectly round, puckered, bright-gold leaves have a pattern resembling seersucker fabric. Pale-lavender flowers appear in early summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsPlant in groups of three or five for a splash of color in the center of a border.
CareGrow in moist but well-drained, fertile soil. Shade tolerant. Grows best with full morning sun. Tolerates drought, but a summer mulch is beneficial.
PropagationDivide plants in late summer or early spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails. In containers: vine weevil. Also viruses and foliar nematodes.
- Genus : Hosta
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Green
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.