‘Patriot’ is one of the few hostas that can really take the heat. It’s a tough plant with relatively large leaves, and their white edges shine in the shade the shade. In midsummer, lavender flowers appear on tall spikes. -Lou Anella, Regional Picks: Southern Plains, Fine Gardening issue #127
CareMoist, fertile, well-drained soil.
PropagationDivide plants in late summer or early spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails. In containers, watch for vine weevil. Also viruses and foliar nematodes.
- Genus : Hosta
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers, Shade
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.