Hinoki cypress is a conical, evergreen, coniferous tree with leaves that are actually minute scales on tiny branches in the form of fans. The outer foliage of ‘Aurea’ is golden, and the inner is green. Growth can be slow. Use as a specimen or use several as screening.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSoft, stringy bark. Golden fans of foliage. Introduced from Japan around 1860.
CareGrows best in moist but well-drained, neutral to slightly acidic soil and full sun.
PropagationRoot semi-ripe cuttings in late summer, or sow seed outdoors in spring in a prepared seedbed.
ProblemsSpruce mite, twig blight, root rot, and needle blights can be troublesome.
- Genus : Chamaecyparis
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Height : 30 feet or more
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Light : Full Sun
- Characteristics : Interesting Bark, Showy Foliage
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees