This plant is a small tree or large shrub reaching 30 feet tall and 20 feet wide. It starts out in a pyramidal shape and becomes more open with age. Fragrant, bell-shaped, white flowers are borne on 4-inch to 8-inch long chains. Flowers dangle from rounded, dark green foliage in late spring, followed by small light brown fruits that usually drop by late fall.
CareGrow in moist but well-drained, fertile, humus-rich, neutral to acidic soil. Shelter from wind. This plant leafs out in early spring: To avoid early-frost damage, site in a north-facing exposure in loose soil.
PropagationTake greenwood cuttings in summer.
- Genus : Styrax
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Fruit
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
- Flower Color : White