Japanese snowbell is a compact, deciduous tree with a graceful spreading habit. In late spring, it produces hanging clusters of sweetly scented, bell-shaped white flowers. Minutely toothed, bright green leaves have a clean, fresh look in all but the driest conditions. Attractive fine twigs are borne on slender, somewhat-layered branches, and the bark is a smooth gray-brown. ‘Pink Chimes’ bears abundant, dangling clusters of pale pink flowers.
CareGrow in moist but well-drained, fertile, humus-rich, neutral to acidic soil. Shelter from wind. Grows well where summers are hot and humid if it has some afternoon shade.
PropagationTake greenwood cuttings in summer.
- Genus : Styrax
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Plant Width : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Interesting Bark, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Type : Trees
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.