Green-and-yellow mottled, shiny, kidney-shaped leaves distinguish this evergreen perennial native to streamsides and seashores in East Asia. The large, leathery leaves can reach a foot across. The yellow flowers bloom in fall and winter, but they are small and secondary to the foliage. Farfugium are nice at waterside, as a groundcover, in a border, or in containers.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLarge, mottled, shiny leaves. Evergreen.
CarePlant in fertile, moist but well-drained soil in partial shade. Where temperatures drop below 23°F, mulch in winter. Shelter from cold, drying winds.
PropagationDivide in spring.
- Genus : Farfugium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 7, 8
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Bloom Time : Fall, Winter
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow