This wild ginger is an evergreen groundcover with heart-shaped, shiny leaves that are often marbled. Its interesting brown-purple flowers hide beneath the foliage.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis is a slow-growing ginger, but worth it.
CareEvergreen wild ginger likes morning sun and afternoon shade. It's best to divide this plant to increase its impact.
PropagationSow seed in containers as soon as ripe. Divide carefully in early spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails. Rust and leaf gall
- Genus : Asarum
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers, Shade
- Bloom Time : Late Spring, Spring
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Growth Rate : Slow
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.