This elegantly shaped grass has narrow leaves with white mid-ribs and a vaselike form to 6 feet tall. It shows bronze autumn color and can stand throughout winter to provide architectural interest. Tassel-like inflorescences appear in fall and can be used as cut or dried flowers.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsElegant form; four-season interest
CareAdaptable, but best in moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun. Does not tolerate excessive winter moisture. Cut to the ground by early spring. Needs space to grow.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring. Divide young plants in spring (older plants are difficult to divide). Pot on divisions, or grow seedlings in a cold frame until established.
- Genus : Miscanthus
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Bloom Time : Fall
- Growth Rate : Fast, Moderate
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest