This cool-season grass begins the season with bright green blades. In late summer and early fall, it produces silvery inflorescences which complement its golden-hued autumn foliage and persist throughout the winter.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe linear evergreen leaves form subtle, attractive tufts, which occur in varying shades of yellowish-green, green, and blue. Most Seslerias are tough and cold hardy. These European, mountain-loving grasses are useful as tidy groundcovers en masse or in small groups, planted in rock gardens or as perennial edgers. They grow to about a foot tall and wide, with flower spikes to 18 inches.
CareProvide average, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil in full sun or light shade; most are drought tolerant once established. Cut clumps back to the ground in late winter.
PropagationDivide in spring or sow seed in spring or fall.
- Genus : Sesleria
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.