This is a dwarf astilbe with attractive red-green leaves and reddish pink flowers in broad, dense conical groups. Its blooms appear mostly in summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis plant is great in damp borders, waterside beds, woodland gardens, or shady rock gardens. It's grown primarily for its striking plume-like flowers.
CareAvoid dry, alkaline, or clay soils.
PropagationDivide clumps in early spring. Replant immediately or pot up and plant in early summer.
ProblemsTarnished plant bug, powdery mildew, bacterial leaf spots, Cercospora leaf spots.
- Genus : Astilbe
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.