This plant produces fast-growing, edible, pungent, onion-like leaves. Small, white flowers appear in late summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsCutting leaves any time during the growing season will not harm the plant.
CareGrow in full sun to part shade and average, well-drained soil. Divide regularly to maintain vigor.
PropagationSow seed in situ or divide plant in spring.
ProblemsAphids, powdery mildew, rust.
- Genus : Allium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.