This unique species bears large, rounded leaves that resemble lily pads and seem to defy gravity.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsAstilboides creates exceptional drama and contrasts well with finely textured foliage. Its magnificent leaves have ruffled edges and prominent veins, and they form a central, concave depression at the point of the stem attachment. The leaves mature to 3 feet wide and splay outward, forming what looks like an enormous foliage bouquet. Small panicles of creamy white flowers appear on 5-foot-tall stems.
CareGrow in cool, moist soil in partial shade.
PropagationDivide in spring as foliage emerges. Sow seed in autumn.
ProblemsSlugs on flower buds
- Genus : Astilboides
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7
- Uses : Containers, Shade
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White