The broad silvery leaves of ‘Ursula’s Red’ have a showy burgundy band at the center of the leaves in spring. This plant can double in size in a single growing season, as it spreads from rhizomes. Though deer do like it, it may simply grow more fronds and not show any lasting damage. –Michael Ruggiero, Regional Picks: Mid-Atlantic, Fine Gardening issue #127
Noteworthy CharacteristicsIt forms a tight, hardy ground cover when plants are placed about 1 foot apart.
CareLoose, fertile, moist soil. Provide light to full shade and well-drained, rich, moist soil, preferably in a humid environment.
Propagation Divide in spring.
Problems Prone to rust.
- Genus : Athyrium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Light : Full Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers, Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest