The deliciously colored maroon-brown leaves contrast nicely with neighboring plants through the season. Pure white flowerheads bloom in midsummer and stay open well into autumn.
CareGrow in a mixed border in moist soil and full sun or partial shade. It is generally maintenance free, but may need staking in rich soil.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring; divide hardy species and take softwood cuttings of tender species in spring.
ProblemsRust, powdery mildew, white smut, Cercospora and Septoria leaf spot, Southern blight, snail, slugs.
- Genus : Eupatorium
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.