This fern’s lacy foliage smells of freshly mown grass and carpets the woodland or a moist, partially sunny site. The green lushness turns golden in the fall. It is a good choice for rapid naturalizing. Use in a woodland garden or near water features.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsNative to North America. May be invasive.
CareIt prefers part to full shade and moist, acidic soil, but with consistent moisture it can tolerate more sun.
PropagationDivide in spring.
- Genus : Dennstaedtia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 30 feet or more
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Characteristics : Fragrant Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.