This deciduous shrub to 8-10 feet tall and wide blooms from late spring through July with 3- to 4-inch-wide, white, fragrant, magnolia-like blossoms with purple centers. This shrub is somewhat deer resistant.
CareProvide full sun to partial shade and moist, fertile, well-drained soil. Prune in early spring
Propagation Sow seed when ripe, grow on rooted suckers in spring, or root cuttings in summer.
Problems Leaf spots and powdery mildew may occur.
- Genus : Calycanthus
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White