This deciduous shrub growing to 6 feet tall and 8 feet wide bears erect racemes of pea-like, pink flowers from summer to early fall above leaves composed of several leaflets. The flowers are followed by long, dark purple seed pods.
CareIn colder climates this shrub may die back to the ground, resprouting from the base in spring. Provide full sun and moist, well-drained soil in USDA Hardiness Zones 6 to 9. Prune out wayward and crossing branches in spring.
Propagation Sow seeds outdoors in fall or take cuttings in spring.
Problems Rust and various rots may occur.
- Genus : Indigofera
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest, Summer Interest
- Light : Full Sun
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Uses : Sun