Think of this as the flamboyant cousin of the popular ‘Blue Mouse Ears’ hosta. ‘Sun Mouse’ has great vigor, quickly forming a wide clump of thick, slightly wavy, golden foliage. It holds the lemon-lime color well throughout the season. Lavender flowers appear in early summer, but play second fiddle to the glowing foliage.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGold foliage on a miniature hosta.
CareHostas will grow in most light conditions, given enough water. The two clear signs your hostas are growing in too much sun or not getting enough water are, browning at the tips of outside edges of the leaves and dull color or faded spots in the leaves.
PropagationDivide in spring or fall.
ProblemsSlugs can be an issue. And while deer usually love hostas, they seem to leave the miniature cultivars alone.
- Genus : Hosta
- Plant Width : 12 to 18 inches
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches, Under 6 inches
- Uses : Color, Containers, Foliage, Shade, Small Spaces
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Foliage Color : Gold/Yellow Foliage
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Moist, Well-drained soil
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Purple
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest, Summer Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.