The early, long-lasting, sometimes fragrant blooms of this hellebore are borne in clusters in late winter to early spring. The pendent flowers are a muted yellow-green, often with purple margins, and have large pale green bracts. Helleborus foetidus has dramatic, deeply-cut foliage that holds up through the winter. Leaves smell unpleasant when crushed.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsProvides good contrast to almost any companion planting.
CareGrow in rich, well-drained soil in part shade.
PropagationBest raised from seed; not suitable for division.
ProblemsSlugs, snails, aphids, leaf spot, and black rot.
- Genus : Helleborus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Foliage
- Flower Color : Green, Yellow
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Bloom Time : Spring, Winter
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest