The early, long-lasting, sometimes fragrant blooms of this hellebore are borne in clusters in late winter to early spring. The pendent flowers are a muted yellow-green, often with purple margins, and have large pale green bracts. Helleborus foetidus has dramatic, deeply cut foliage that holds up through the winter. Leaves smell unpleasant when crushed.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsProvides good contrast to almost any companion planting.
CareGrow in rich, well-drained soil in part shade.
PropagationBest raised from seed; not suitable for division.
ProblemsSlugs, snails, aphids, leaf spot, and black rot
- Genus : Helleborus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Foliage
- Flower Color : Green, Yellow
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Bloom Time : Spring, Winter
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest