Gray-green, spear-shaped leaves form a low, tidy, circular mound about 1 foot in diameter. This plant puts on a dazzling show of five-petaled magenta flowers on straight stalks about 2 feet high in mid-spring.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsDisease-resistant and easy to grow. Effective when massed. Self-seeds freely. ‘Alba’ has pure white flowers; ‘Angel’s Blush’ has white petals with faint pink centers.
CareGrows well in sunny, well-drained, lean soil.
PropagationFrom seed. Or divide and take basal cuttings in early spring.
ProblemsAnther smut and leaf spots.
- Genus : Lychnis
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest