This late-flowering azalea has bright red flowers over crisp green leaves in summer to autumn.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsTakes heat with a smile.
CareProvide full sun to partial shade and moist, well-drained, humusy, acidic soil.
PropagationRoot semi-ripe cuttings in late summer or autumn. Layer in autumn.
ProblemsVine weevil, whitefly, leafhoppers, lacebugs, scale, caterpillars, aphids. Powdery mildew, rust, bud blast, leaf gall, petal blight, root rot, and chlorosis (due to insufficient soil acid).
- Genus : Rhododendron
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Red
- Uses : Shade
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.