Nuda is one of the hardiest bamboos. New culms emerge purplish green, eventually lightening to match the leaf color. This is a running bamboo, so take precautions for restraint. Though it is reluctant to spread into very dry soils, it is resistant to some drought.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsHardy, tall bamboo to 15 feet and as wide as you wish.
CareRich, moist but well-drained soil in full sun or part shade. Can take some drought.
PropagationDivide in spring.
ProblemsRust and stem smut are common, while slugs and snails can attack emerging shoots.
- Genus : Phyllostachys
- Zones : 10, 11, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest