This is a well-loved and vigorous cultivar with large, rounded flower heads of a rich, gorgeous blue.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsPerhaps the quintessential bigleaf hydrangea, 'Nikko Blue' features large, blue flower heads that might turn a bit pinker as the soil pH gets more alkaline.
Care'Nikko Blue' flowers on the previous season's wood and can be maintained by cutting back just to the first pair of buds beneath the old flower in spring. Grow in moist but well-drained soil in sun to partial shade. Provide shelter from drying winds.
PropagationSow seed in cold frame in spring; take softwood cuttings in early summer, hardwood cuttings in winter.
ProblemsGray mold, slugs, powdery mildew, rust, ringspot virus, leaf spots
- Genus : Hydrangea
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Flower Color : Blue
- Uses : Color, Foundation Plantings, Front Yard, Sun
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Foliage Color : Green
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest