In autumn, this unique specimen creates a spectacular, billowy inflorescence of massed, vibrant pink, airy flowers on 4-foot stems. It is noted for its tolerance to poorly drained soil. It is possibly hardy to Zone 6 with protection.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsMuhlenbergias create textural drama which, in some species, is enhanced by deeply colored flowers. Some make exceptional specimens, and all are great en masse in borders, meadows, and native gardens. Most species are native to Mexico, Asia, and the U.S.
CareMuhlenbergias thrive in full sun or partial shade in average, moist, but well-drained soil; however, most are tolerant of drought, heat, and poor soils.
PropagationDivide plants or sow seed in spring.
- Genus : Muhlenbergia
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Fall
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest