This clumping, robust perennial has unusual ramrod-stiff flower stems that bloom from early summer through late summer. Its fat, rusty buds open into large, deep yellow thistle flowers the size of a small fist. Easy to cut and dry for arrangements. This plant has big, coarse leaves that call for strong companions.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsA tricky plant to work into a perennial garden because it draws a lot of attention.
CareGrow in moist soil in sun or partial shade.
PropagationStart seeds in a cold frame in spring, or divide plants in spring or fall.
ProblemsWhite mold, rust, mildews, thread blight, and Southern blight.
- Genus : Centaurea
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow