Especially fragrant and variable in color, modern border pinks form mats of grayish green leaves and fringed, saucer-shaped flowers.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsEasily propagated from seed.
CareGrow in full sun and well-drained, slightly alkaline soil. Plants need good air circulation. They will not tolerate excess winter moisture. Deadhead promptly.
PropagationSow fresh seed in midwinter.
ProblemsSlugs, sow bugs, grasshoppers, chipmunks, squirrels, deer.
- Genus : Dianthus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.