This mat-forming species with narrow, dark green leaves is one of the easiest to grow. Blossoms with red eyes open in early summer and may rebloom if sheared back after flowering.
CareRequires full sun and sharp drainage and prefers neutral to alkaline soil.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in fall; divide in spring or fall.
ProblemsCrown rot, slugs, sow bugs, grasshoppers, chipmunks, squirrels.
- Genus : Dianthus
- Zones : 10, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Self Seeds
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest