Fringed flowers in shades of bright red with white centers open without fragrance in summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis short-lived biennial or annual blooms for a longer period than most perennial species, and may be deadheaded to promote additional blooms.
CareIt prefers full sun and well drained, neutral to alkaline soil.
PropagationSow seed in autumn to early spring.
ProblemsCrown rot, slugs, sow bugs, grasshoppers, chipmunks, squirrels.
- Genus : Dianthus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Uses : Containers, Ground Covers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Red
- Bloom Time : Spring, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest