Mazus reptans is a mat-forming perennial with rosettes of lance-shaped toothed leaves. It spreads quickly through rooting stems. From late spring to midsummer, it bears two- to five-flowered racemes of snapdragon-like purple-blue flowers with lower lips spotted with yellow and red.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsFills in quickly without being aggressive. Use between stepping stones or to cover large patches of soil.
CareGrow in moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil. Plant in a sheltered location.
PropagationFrom seed in spring or autumn; by division and root cuttings in spring.
ProblemsSlugs and snails
- Genus : Mazus
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Red, Yellow
- Bloom Time : Spring, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches