Purple shamrock’s pretty foliage and dainty flowers make it a good choice for containers, borders, or indoors.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsPurple, triangular leaflets that close at night. Nice houseplant. Native to Brazil.
CarePrefers light shade and moist but well-drained soil. Indoors, provide bright light and cool temperatures.
PropagationSow fresh seed or divide rhizomes.
ProblemsFungal leaf spots, powdery mildew, rust, and seed smut are the most common problems, but also watch for spider mites and leaf miners.
- Genus : Oxalis
- Zones : 10, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.