Friendship plant—easily propagated and given to friends, hence the common name—is native to Central and South America. It has richly textured, bronzy leaves and makes a nice addition to containers where it can be appreciated up close. The flowers are not particularly noteworthy.
CareProvide part shade, moderate moisture, and plenty of humidity. Stems are fragile, so choose a sheltered location.
PropagationEasily propagated from stem cuttings.
ProblemsNothing serious, but aphids and mealybugs may occur.
- Zones : 11
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers
- Flower Color : Green, Pink
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.