This cultivar of a favorite fall shrub has the same great spring flowers as the rest of the species. But its brilliant fall color remains longer and later than its cousins, holding its strong orange, red, and yellow tones into late November or even early December. ‘Jane Platt’ also features a mounding habit rather than the upright habit common to the species. Fothergillas are often recommended for shade, but this one is tough enough to be grown between rocks in hot, full sun.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsHoney-scented flowers in spring; beautiful fall color.
CareGrow in full sun to partial shade and moist, well-drained soil.
- Genus : Fothergilla
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Fall Foliage
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.