Usually this plant produces nodding blue and white flowers, but color variation is common in this species.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsSeveral cultivars offer unique characteristics.
CareProvide part shade to full sun and humusy, moist but well-drained soil.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring. Can divide cultivars in spring but plants respond slowly to root disturbance.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, rust, fungal leaf spots. Aphids, leaf miners, and caterpillars.
- Genus : Aquilegia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.