These shrubs are beautiful, compact, and easy to grow, making them obvious choices for mixed borders, foundation plantings, and naturalizing. The fragrant, bottlebrush flowers are petalless and sweetly-scented.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsEasy to grow. Fragrant, bottlebrush flowers. Good fall color. U.S. native.
CareGrow in consistently moist but well-drained, acidic soil in full sun or partial shade. Do not let dry out between waterings. Prune only to maintain a healthy framework. Best fall color develops from at least three hours of direct sun.
PropagationTake softwood cuttings, or sow seed in a cold frame in fall or winter.
- Genus : Fothergilla
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Spring, Winter
- Light : Full Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : North American Natives
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.