The heart-shaped leaves of ‘Illustris’ are huge, and their dark highlights are stunning. This elephant ear is a lover of moist shade, but does best with a little dappled sunlight. It will tolerate boggy conditions. -Julia Jones, Fine Gardening issue #120
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLarge purple-and-green leaves.
CareProvide light shade to full shade and consistently moist or boggy soil.
PropagationDivide in winter or early spring.
ProblemsAphids, whiteflies, spider mites, soft rot, bacterial blight, corm and root rot, dasheen mosaic virus.
- Genus : Colocasia
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Type : Bulbs
- Uses : Containers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest