‘Marine’ heliotrope has a compact form with broadly oval to lance-shaped, wrinkled leaves tinged with purple. In summer, it bears a profusion of fragrant deep violet-blue flowerheads up to 6 inches across.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsA perennial in warmer climates, it is often grown as an annual where not hardy. Its rich foliage and profuse blooms make it a great choice for summer bedding or windowboxes. In warmer climates, grow at the front of a border or in containers outdoors.
CareProvide full sun to light shade and moist but well-drained soil.
ProblemsSusceptible to whiteflies, rust, and leaf spot.
- Genus : Heliotropium
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Type : Annuals
- Uses : Containers
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest