This clumping, bushy perennial has slender stems and small, lance-shaped, medium green leaves. From late summer to late fall, it produces white flowerheads with yellow centers to a half-inch across. Its cultivars may bear flowers tinged pink or blue.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsU.S. native. Attracts butterflies.
CareNeeds an open location with good drainage and moderately fertile soil in full sun.
PropagationMost asters require frequent division.
ProblemsAsters are sometimes plagued by fungal diseases. The most common are wilt disease, powdery mildew, and botrytis.
- Genus : Aster
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest